The Yugoslav Film Archive is the national film archives of the Republic of Serbia, founded in 1949.
The Yugoslav Film Archive is one of the founders and a permanent member of FIAF (International Federation of Film Archives), with active membership and participation since 1951.
"The new building" began its story when The Federal Government gave the old building of the ”First Belgrade Municipality“ for use to the Yugoslav Film Institute in 1992, in a completely demolished and dire condition.
- Complete Architectural, Installation and Technology design was done by SVETLOST TEATAR
- Architect Radisav Maric
The complete reconstruction started in 2007 with the funds of the Government National Investment Plan.
Additional funds from the European Investment Bank were provided and the building was completed and equipped in full.
With great effort and support of the whole team of the Film Institute, this beautiful building on the Students' Square was restored to its new appearance. It is a gorgeous space in which the history of Serbian and World cinema will be accessible to everyone. It includes several cinemas, libraries, computer and research centers and galleries. The rebuilt building was officially opened on June 6, 2009 with the award ceremony for our most significant filmmakers.
The Main Cinema Hall, Modern Video Hall and two separate small Halls for special productions were equipped with Stage and Architectural lighting, as the Sound reinforcement system installed by Svetlost Teatar